Saturday, July 23, 2011

I went snorkelling!!

Paradise

Ok this shouldn’t be a great thing for most people but it is for me coz for the life of me I CAN’T SWIM! ;p

I absolutely love the water and when I see one, I never come out but it all depends on how much of the floor I can feel, the moment I don’t feel it I will panic ;p

All this while I’ve been afraid to try snorkelling coz who in their right mind would jump into the deep sea when they can’t swim????

Anyway I was heading to Perhentian and figured it was about time I tried. So there we were zipping across the ocean on our speedboat filled with obnoxious kids, our lovely guide and my friend as someone passed me the alien looking snorkerling mask.

I had the basic knowledge of using it since I have so many diver friends but I was more concerned about the deep sea jumping.

We stop at this shallow part and he asked us if we wanted lessons. Obnoxious kids immediately said no without asking anyone. I figured it’s ok if I’m not up to it ill just enjoy the ride.

We reach our first spot and he asks who doesn’t know how to swim – 3 of us said we don’t while the rest jumped over. I looked down n all I could see was vast amount of corals and not even a bit of the oceans floor.

I’m finally the only one left on the boat. My friend and our old man guide who was probably 75 and looking real fit start urging me to jump.

And all I could think was – are you people crazy that’s the deep ocean!!

My friend who is a swimmer started showing me that it was the vest that was keeping her floating so I should just jump. So I finally jumped in and went straight into the water. I had my eyes closed and mouth closed and kept calm so I wouldn’t panic. I came out to find both of them next to me.

Then I was given a quick lesson on how to breathe with my mouth – trust me u need it. It took sometime and a bit of salt water consumption before I got it and that’s when I saw the gorgeous corals and beautiful fishes but I was still holding strong to my friends hand as I was still afraid after a while she let go and at first I was afraid but then I slowly got the hang of it and before you know it I was hooked!

Wow the fishies (my name for fish) are so pretty and the coral formation was amazing. In the first place it was filled with pretty zebra fishes. There were a different variety of zebra fishes near our shoreline. Every noon the wave brings them in and if you’re quiet enough and the sand settles down you’ll get to see them right at the shore.

We got back on the boat and by then my friend had become seasick and was for the rest of the trip. The next spot we jumped in to look for turtles but couldn’t find any that day so we headed to the next one.

Our third spot was amazing. There weren’t corals or we couldn’t see them as this place was much deeper but there were so many fishes. One guy handed me a fried banana fritter and told me to show it at the fishes. It took a while but soon the fishes were flocking towards my hands to nibble on the banana. One fella accidentally nibbled on me ;p

Here there were more variety, sizes and colour. Our last stop for the evening was to look for sharks. We stopped near the rocky waters of the island and our guide jumped in. he told us to follow him closely and watch closely. He had a dead fish in his hands and was slowly ripping them to release the blood. Since I can’t swim I was left behind with the bigger variety of fish.

The next thing I know our guide tucks my arm into his and takes me along for the shark ride. 

Wheeeeeeeeee. That was an experience but I must have been tired coz I was swallowing a lot of water. It was exciting and tense to think we were looking for a shark. I wasn’t too concerned coz the sharks in our waters are harmless. We attracted a long brown fish which looked like a mini shark or cat fish but still no shark.

And then we saw a glint of silver and the shark emerged – it was about a metre long – probably the baby. I saw it or others in the same size 4 times. Seriously amazing experience and all thanks to my lovely guide who decided I should see as much as possible ;p

When we got out of the water with me grinning ear to ear, he asked me so how many did u see I said four 1 metre long ones. Then he asked me so you didn’t see the big one? Lol that freaked me out for a second hehehe

So now Im definitely hooked to snorkelling and can’t wait for the next one.

The one thing I did realise from being in Perhentian, the place is gorgeous but it’s not my paradise. My paradise is still in Bali and I’m heading there again next year. Paradise is calling my name ;p

Ps: Oh just a note I’m as noisy under the sea as on land ;p I was singing to myself throughout my snorkelling adventure ;p

V-Eyez Imagery
My photography blog
V-Eyez Imagery on Facebook

2 comments:

Sundar Narayanan said...

now the real question is

when are you buying an underwater camera?

:)

Visithra said...

omg thats poisoning hehehe not going to but might get one of those small ones ;p