Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Do I know you?

Winds of desire

Do I know you? Have I seen you somewhere?

I think my feet were off the ground for a few minutes when one of my favourite artist, approached me with these questions recently. I was at the Winds of Desire – Contemporary art work by Malaysian Indian and Sri Lankan artists exhibition forum in Annexe on one fine Sunday. I had gone because a few of the artists I adore were exhibiting but I come back with a room full of favourites to adore. Back to the artist who was talking to me, it was none other than renowned artist Syed Tajudeen.

Winds of desire 

Not knowing how to react, I told him about my dance background and photography. The sweet man decided he should introduce me to the whole room of artist, every time he bumped into me he’d introduce me to them and that’s how I ended up getting an introduction by most of the artists on their exhibited works. Probably explains why I spent 4 hours there.

Winds of desire Winds of desire 

During the forum, one of the country’s major collector and art lover explained his love and why he collects. It was quite interesting to hear him speak on his passion for arts and how he feels it’s his duty as the owner to maintain these art pieces as a tribute to the artist.  

Winds of desire

Winds of desire

Next up was artist Jeganathan. Now I was introduced to his work in 2005 when he presented his Ganesha collection at a temple I used to frequent. I fell in love with his work and the intricate meanings of each symbol he puts into the painting. This man paints his thoughts on to canvas with the stroke of a brush. Just amazing. So I’d look out for his name every now and then so I could see more of his work. That’s how I ended up at the Stirring Odissi exhibition at Galeri Petronas in 2008.

That was such an awe inspiring exhibition and where I fell in love with the works of Syed Tajuddin. His female figures have distinct lips and no eyes yet are bursting with colour. Some of those works were shown again at the exhibition in Annexe. Syed said he loved making people happy and entertaining them hence why he loves colours. You could almost feel the dancers in his paintings sashaying across the canvas.

The curator of the show was also showing some of his pieces that were exhibited at the Stirring Odissi exhibition. Though I personally loved his works especially the photographs that were shown in the previous exhibition more than the ones on display at Annexe. I had gone for the exhibition with another photographer friend and I remember the both of us standing there drooling over the work. Perhaps the ones I liked were sitting pretty at some collectors house.

Winds of desire Winds of desire 

Winds of desire 
This was the first time I was seeing the stunning pen art of Khrishnan. Yes these works were done with the stroke of the pen. He took the time to explain each of his pieces. One which I particularly was about the many faces in the story of Jentayu and how they’re all connected by the evolution of mankind. In another the unassuming man depicts childbirth. It’s interesting to listen to him talk. 

Winds of desire 
Then there was the stunning Indian portraits by Dr Chandiran which emphasised on ornaments and temples. He also had 2 works on budha and I was blown away with the simple idea. Budha seemed to radiate from the Bodhi tree.

Winds of desire

Since I knew my friend Dilip would be arriving in KL in time for the final week of the exhibition, I was hoping we’d decide to visit the exhibition. Dilip was keen on going and so we headed there after lunch on Saturday. I wasn’t expecting to see the artists there so I was pleasantly surprised to see them and to see they hadn’t forgotten me.

As we were walking down the gallery, a beautiful and simple version of one Bharathiyars song streamed out into the gallery. We just had to know who it was and it turned out to be Sikkil Gurucharan and pianist Anil Srinivasan. Wow just brilliant. Just listen to this one piece - wow wow. 


We sat down to talk to the artists for a while and before we knew it, it was time to leave.

Winds of desire

Dr Krishnan 

Winds of desire
Michel Anthony

Some of the pieces by the other artists that I also liked.

The exhibition is worth seeing more than once, plus its always nice to be able to meet the artist and pick their brain. 



V-Eyez Imagery 
My photography blog 
V-Eyez Imagery on Facebook

No comments: