Friday, December 04, 2009

Books on review

I’ve been on a book high this past few weeks. I kinda need to be in the mood to read books and when I am, I tend to go through a whole bunch ;p So here’s what I’ve been reading and what I think about them

The five people you meet in heaven – Mitch Albom
Such an amazing book, his writing blew me away. Simple but mind blowing. In a nutshell death explains to you why certain things happened.

The Graveyard Book – Neil Gaiman
Wow I am such a fan after this one book. This mans mind is an adventure in its own. His imagination is just outstanding. The book takes the Jungle book for inspiration and instead of a jungle, a child is brought up in a graveyard by ghosts! ;p A MUST read.

American Gods – Neil Gaiman
I wish I could get into his head and watch how he thinks. Again amazing book. Basically the story dwells on the theory of gods being manifestation of beliefs. Without the strength of peoples beliefs and sacrifices, gods are reduced to nothing and most times vanish into thin air. For instance take the pagan gods, greek and mayan ones who are no longer worshipped, sending the religion into extinction. As immigrants travel to America, they bring along their gods, only to abandon them in the long run. He doesn’t criticize religion but he has a valid point. A MUST read.

One fine day – Mitch Albom
I have a theory, its either he thinks about death a lot or is just curious. Again centering on death, he explores the theory of a conversation with a loved one as you linger between death and life.

The Alchemist – Paul Coehlo
I had to force myself to finish the book. If I needed legends dishing out advice I’d read Indian legends, there’s more meat and vigour there and trust me its better written. Don’t get the fuss people put on this book. Though I’ve been told some of his other books are good.

The Glass Palace – Amitav Ghosh
Such an intriguing tale that takes us through Myanmar, India and Malaya giving us a view of the Japanese invasion and its intertwined affects to the 3 continents. A MUST read.

Thousand Splendid Suns – Khaled Hossini
I loved The Kite Runner, while this book is good it isn’t as good or as original/ heart wrenching as his other book. Perhaps I’m cynical about writers who turn to tortured women for material. There’s just too many Asian writers writing the same things. I do love one thing, the ending and the fact that there is a very strong love for his home country Afghanistan despite the troubles there and none of his book glorifies any other country as a savior. Something Asian writers tend to do.

The White Tiger – Aravind Adiga
This book was recommended to me by the boy at the bookstore. When I first started reading the book, I was in contempt with the characters pompousness and constant mocking of India. I was about to ditch the book when I thought I’d give it a chance. I’m glad I did. It’s a brilliant book taking a jab at the world famous Indian mentality – ever loyal to their employers but never hesitating to backstab a fellow Indian.

Waiter Rant – A Waiter
I started reading The Waiter Rant blog years ago and was absolutely taken by his wit. I finally found his book and it is as brilliant. As the title explains, it’s the rant of a waiter ;)

Whitethorn Woods – Maeve Binchy
I think I have about 7 -8 of her books. When I like an author I tend to get most of their works. The basis of her books are simply human relationships – all of them. She tends to tell stories of different characters and as the story unfolds you realize how they’re all unknowingly connected. Her best would be The Circle of friends. This was not bad but I did feel there were too many characters.

I finally purchased a copy of Wings of Fire – the biography of India’s president Abdul Kalam. It starts beautifully but then it gets so technical, I felt I was reading a technical manual. So I stopped reading, I might try again and then i'll review it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i dont like the alchemist either, read half of the book and i learn nothing from it. waste couple of bucks buying it

sabrina said...

Hmmm....i tried reading Anansi boys by Gaiman and that just truned me off him cos i just could not finish the book

But so many people seem to rave over him so perhaps i'll give him a try :p

visithra said...

anon : i forced myself to finish so i could really say i didnt like it

saby : i havent read that though my friend says its nice - but the graveyard book is really good - american gods may put off some ppl but i thought it was brilliant

gina said...

Eh.. the Alchemist happened to be my favorite book of all times. HAHAHA! Maybe you can try reading Eleven Minutes - it's a crossed between Bride Stripped Bare and the Devil & Ms Prymm.

I love Kite Runner. I cried buckets at the movie.. and cried even more reading the book. And I love A thousand splendid suns too.

I don't understand the fuss about Da Vincci Code though.. or Harry Potter for the matter.

日月神教-任我行 said...

AV,無碼,a片免費看,自拍貼圖,伊莉,微風論壇,成人聊天室,成人電影,成人文學,成人貼圖區,成人網站,一葉情貼圖片區,色情漫畫,言情小說,情色論壇,臺灣情色網,色情影片,色情,成人影城,080視訊聊天室,a片,A漫,h漫,麗的色遊戲,同志色教館,AV女優,SEX,咆哮小老鼠,85cc免費影片,正妹牆,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,情色小說,aio,成人,微風成人,做愛,成人貼圖,18成人,嘟嘟成人網,aio交友愛情館,情色文學,色情小說,色情網站,情色,A片下載,嘟嘟情人色網,成人影片,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人漫畫,視訊聊天室,性愛,ut聊天室,情色遊戲,情色a片,情色網