Monday, June 29, 2009

MJ Tribute Malaysia


MJ Tribute Malaysia, originally uploaded by visithra.

When I heard Sony was holding a tribute for MJ at I utama, I knew I had to be there.

By the time I reached 1 Utama at 6.15pm, most of the seats had been taken and I had been worried I’d be too early. I didn’t attend 2 weddings to be there. I knew I’d be a wreck if I missed it. I’m still wondering why they gated that space in front of the stage, it really never made sense.

I’d gone alone coz I really don’t have friends who love MJ that much. It didn’t matter coz quite a number of people turned up just to be somewhere where people understood our lost. I ended up making friends with a gal who had been there earlier than me and a bunch of MJ fans.

MJ Tribute Malaysia The one who worked with MJ

I was interviewed for Hitz.fm by Adam C, and I just went on and on about MJ. I think it was about my first memory of him and what I thought of his music and my favourite song. I said I loved all his songs but at the moment it would be They don’t really care about us. To me that was a song that really hit the note on emotional stress MJ went through. Sadly they didn’t play that song.

The next guy he interviewed seemed familiar. I think he was the former dj at a club I used to frequent. The interesting part of him was he managed to work on MJs concert in 96. He became the poster boy for the press with his Tshirt from the show.

Another MJ MJ Nada Too young Young Fan
They played a tribute video of what Jackson meant to many celebrities and then a sting of videos of his no 1 hits. The crowd would go crazy everytime he moonwalked. I wish we danced but the only soul that was dancing was this guy who pretty much hyped up the rest of us at that point. I guess the ropes barring us from sitting anywhere close left us feeling caged. We finally broke lose and just sat down and began singing and moving to his music. As time passed the placed was brimming with people from all ages.

Yeah I was sitting with a bunch of fans who didn’t care if people were looking at us, we just sang and clapped in rhythm to his songs. I was surprised I could still remember most of the lyrics, you see I have a bad memory, I can’t remember most songs I listen to. They had started opening the tribute wall for the fans to sign. The paper and guestbook will be flown to the US and delivered to the Jackson family. We were continuously eyeing the wall as there we were so close yet we didn’t go and sign as we didn’t want to lose our spot near the stage.

3 impersonators made their way on stage. Most Indians would be familiar with MJ Nada as he has been a local impersonator for some 20 years and a familiar face in the local industry and can he move! His speech left some of us teary eyed for a moment. But the mood of the night was more of a celebration of his music. We got goosebumps but we remembered him they way he should be remembered with music and dance.

The stage was then opened to the public to perform. This guy Pravin had drove down from Seremban to attend the tribute and my god he can really sing. So could the others who took turns dancing or singing. One 12 year old kid had our hearts brimming with joy as he moonwalked across the stage.

The one slack tribute was this So You Can Dance competition winner who made up his own steps during his piece. That we also can do.

We finally got to sway to his music as we held our candles high up and sang to You are not alone, Man in the mirror and Heal the world. The sad reality is MJ has written songs for his demise. ;(

Everyday I sit and ask myself
How did love slip away
Something whispers in my ear and says
That you are not alone
For I am here with you
Though you're far away
I am here to stay

For you are not alone
For I am here with you
Though we're far apart
You're always in my heart
For you are not alone
….you are not alone….

Born To Amuse, To Inspire, To Delight
Here One Day
Gone One Night

Like A Sunset
Dying With The Rising Of The Moon
Gone Too Soon
….gone too soon….

The wall MJ Tribute Malaysia Music for all ages

It was a touching moment. Everyone old or young was singing to the songs. Everyone had a story to tell, share and a love to express. We finally headed to the board to sign our own messages. The spot I was eyeing was still empty, the only problem, I had to crawl, stretch and do gymnastics to write there – hence the bad hand writing.

After signing the book and singing Heal the world for one last time, we finally left.

In the guestbook My message

No comments: