Thursday, April 23, 2009

Positive vibes ;)




The exhibition finally ended on Sunday with the funniest incident. Kaz had packed up and left earlier, I decided to wait after the evening crowd went in for the shows. I didn’t realize how famished I was until I sank my teeth into the sandwiches I had ordered at our second home, the restaurant next to our exhibition area. So once everyone had left I slowly took them down and as I was making my way to my car I heard a familiar voice. My friend had just arrived hoping to catch the exhibition.
He was rushing from another event and if he had been 5 minutes late I would have left. I told him if he wanted I’ll show him piece by piece and so he and his gf got a personalized showcase of my work ;)

That was the feeling we had throughout the exhibition, wonderful support and love from walk in visitors and our invited guests. Thank you all and now let’s look at the last 2 months.

We’ve had a whirlwind month or two preparing for the exhibition. One of the things we decided early on is we will meet up every other weekend to discuss and finalise things for the exhibition.

So one week we met up to finalise the brochure design I had been working on, then it was to meet and discuss the printing, then to meet and pass our images to him. He is a brilliant man btw, his passion and love for photography gave us the confidence that he will make sure our work was splendid and he didn’t disappoint.

Of course to celebrate we had to indulge in what I call heaven on earth. Kaz hadn’t had it before and she agreed it definitely was heaven – Delicious’s amazing brownie, drenched in chocolate sauce and ice cream.

We met a few days later to see the first stage of printing. We were blown away at home beautiful they looked. I was so tempted to remain with the glossy finish but I knew it wouldn’t look good with glass in front of it. We were practically jumping around in excitement. A few days after that we met up again to collect the framed products. However our quality control and production director didn’t approve them yet. A bit of sloppy work from the people at the framing company, but our printer assured us he’d go watch on it himself for the second round. So we got the images in the nick of time on Saturday all perfect ;)

We were a bit too tired to enjoy them before the setting up. Setting up was another whirlwind. We didn’t realize it was the Chinese festival Guang Ming and ended up on a goose chase trying to buy stuff. We really didn’t have time earlier to get them, well that’s the excuse we’re sticking to ;p.

Anyways we managed to get everything and rushed to KLPAC without even having lunch.
That’s when the next challenge posed itself, deciding where each image went. We got them all out and lined them to the walls. People started immediately noticing the images and we’re walking around. Trying to keep in track to our goals, we walked left and right arranging them to their spots making sure they were right in place. At one point we had to change the location of a group of shots coz we couldn’t figure out how to get them to hang the way we wanted. It turned out to be perfect as we got this amazing combination.

If you stood at one angle of the white boards you would see the human shots and the other way round you’d see the architecture shots. Stunning eh? Kaz realized it first ;p

Our production Director Ali was the man behind all the hanging. We were the holders and adjusters. You see he is a perfectionist, if he does something he is the only one who does it! and believe me you’ll get amazing results.

We solved our not enough string crisis when we realized we didn’t need that much string. One of us was paranoid they would fall, the other was worried they wouldn’t be stable and the sane one thought we were crazy. You figure who was who;p

I went out to get us lunch and kinda stopped at the first shop I could find. Thankfully the food was ok. By the time we were finished with setting up, it was 6 pm, and it took us 6 hours! Phew we were exhausted. So after they both left, I decided I’ll shoot the images one by one for memory and just soak in the atmosphere.
Oh we love these benches which kinda move around in the week (yes they have a life of their own and we let them be ;p), but they are amazing spots to just sit and enjoy the exhibition.

Since we’re both working and starving artists ;p we only head off to KLPAC during the weekends. But I thought I’d go check on everything on the first Wednesday and just eaves drop on people’s reaction.

It’s a different feeling to watch people discuss their favourites and feelings not knowing the artists are around. I was quietly reading a book in a corner and I suspect maybe one or two thought they recognized me. Overall people loved it though we had some snide remarks from some photographers and later on I found from a college kid. Our guest book was nearly filled so we had to prepare another book. A lecturer has made our exhibition a working assignment – need to go find out who he is.

Saturday morning arrived and it was our first day at KLPAC as well as our opening. That morning I had dropped by florists and bugged the guys to figure which were the best flowers to get though I desperately wanted my fav kind – roses. Finally I settled on orange shades of roses. They looked stunning at the exhibition.

What we weren’t expecting was getting lovely flowers from our friends. A bouquet arrived without the owner for both of us and 2 arrived from a blogger friend. Will get back to this later.

We tidied up things and was chatting with the KLPAC staffs when friends started coming in. Kerv was the first to arrive with his gf. We had decided we were going to shoot everyone with their favourite shots from the exhibition of both our sets. So we had fun making people pick and as you can see a lot of people had the same favourites.

People began streaming in and we were busy chatting with everyone. Again most people had beautiful things to say. And it was lovely to meet old friends and make new ones. We’d speak to some of the walk in visitors and they would be so happy to meet us. We’d give kids our secret stash of sweets and most of everyone who came on the first day was given a small gift of a cd of the exhibition and some cookies.

Ali got our cd slides ready and the funny thing when he were preparing the cd, I got a call saying they’re adding Indian music to the cd coz they’d fallen in love with it and I was like err whose the Indian here? Hehehhe

It’s a beautiful addition and hope you guys enjoyed it. It was a perfect idea since most of our friends aren’t based in Malaysia, so this is especially for all of you.
KLPAC is a beautiful place to be and a lot of first timers arrived and fell in love with the place. I bumped into people I knew or vaguely knew who were arriving for the evening programme. KLPAC usually has some activity happening around the hall.

There was this lovely performance in the foyer which I will write more about later. I already told you what happened while I was watching the performance.

After much procrastination I bought tickets to the show Rasa Unmasked. Just as I was entering the hall, the gal at the door goes “you’re the photographer aren’t you?” heheh interesting moment ;p

It’s become a Sunday ritual to receive calls early in the morning ;p A friend called up to see if we would be getting in anytime soon since he was already there, while I’d have loved to I was seriously too tired to do so. That was the beauty of our time at KLPAC, I really thought I’d have some time to read the books from the library but there was always someone dropping in or someone new to meet who wanted to hear more of our experience. We’d just finished talking to someone and following a 10 minute break someone else would turn up ;)

We got people to do some crazy antics – well they had no choice ;)

I had a friend who dropped by again in the evening just to meet me after having enjoyed our exhibition earlier in the day. We caught up with some lovely stories though by then my camera battery had gone flat!

Another actually returned a week later with his whole family to catch the exhibition and I finally met their lovely children.

It was pretty much a reunion of old friends and meeting of people that are part of their lives. I met so many friends wives/gf/ husbands/ bfs/ children/ friends for the first time. Thanks for bringing your families and friends along as well people.
I have to write about this group of students we met on our second Saturday there. The college students had taken a bus from Kelantan or kuantan (I need to reconfirm this I have a bad memory) in the morning to arrive in KL to watch a theatre production – aircon and then leave the very same night. To their delight they got to see an exhibition as well and I was told this was their first exhibition. The kids were shooting with every single photo we had over there. I’m glad we got to share this with them.

We’ve also had amazing support from the staff of KLPAC and the founders themselves. I have to write something on them, yes I’ve got lots to say. They ensured that even if we weren’t around, our exhibit was well looked after and after each show they’d give out our brochures as a promotion. Thank you everyone.

Overall we had a good time to meet old and new friends and showcase our work to the public. The reaction has mostly been amazing and we’re thankful for the opportunity.

Thank you to everyone for the support, for coming, for supporting us even though they couldn’t attend, for encouraging us and for the love.

Now I need to go catch up on sleep!

ps: the photos are still up for sale ;) contact me if you want them ;)

oh and do pick a favourite - we got everyone to pose with theirs ;)

Jaded Light Ancient Beauty in destruction Silence Rings of time


Mystical Dreams are made here



Perplexed infinity