Saturday, December 20, 2008

Indian at heart

Indian at heartI was walking through a small town on the morning of Raya Haji (eid) in the rain and was totally engrossed looking at the foreign workers embracing each other while wishing the celebration greetings. Out of nowhere I hear someone say Vanakam amma. I look around and see no Indian in sight and then he repeated himself - and I was dumbfounded as he continued to talk to me in perfect Tamil - an even better pronounciation of tamil than I muster.

I assumed he knew just a few phrases but by the end of our conversation I realised that was the only language he knew and I don't think he knew Chinese.

That mornings shoot reaffirmed why I love visiting small towns, beautiful people, kind hearts, harmonious living.

ps : will be mising for sometime

4 comments:

Praveen R. said...

Nice old man. I think I've mentioned to you about the Malay security guards at my client's office who speak such pristine Tamil. They speak it so well it puts Malaysian Tamils to shame.

Multilingual and multicultural, isn't what this nation is meant to be?

Balaji S Rajan said...

Nice to hear about this.

Pinku said...

thats surprising and nice...

pmbpedan said...

hm, interesting stories