Monday, October 06, 2008

Tyre Tyrant

I think at some point in my previous life I must have been a tyre tyrant. That probably explains why in my 11 years of driving 4 different cars, I’ve had to change tyres 6 times!

Tyre number 6 punctured itself on the eve of Raya. What a way to start a holiday eh?

We had gone out for dinner with friends and as I was driving back to drop one of my friends back I heard a funny noise coming from the car and decided to investigate. Turns out the tyre had gone flat. So I laughed and mentally calculated which number it was while my friend called up another friend who had just left to come and give us a hand.

Now I know how to change a tyre, I’ve got the experience. My only problem is I never have enough strength to do it. You’ll understand what I mean if you’ve ever cranked up a jack and unbolted the nuts!

So when my friend turned up he goes, actually I’ve never changed a tyre before. Talk about luck!

Anyways we take turns jacking the car and finally it came time to unbolt the nuts. Now I’m not tiny neither are my friends. There we were standing and jumping on the nutbolter and it just refused to budge. We somehow manage to open 3 of the nuts but one nut stubbornly remained intact, it took us nearly 30 mins to get it off and we were nearly giving up.

Then we couldn’t get the tire out. It was just stuck! Now I’ve complained before that my car has its own mind and it’s a bit over technical for me. I still don’t know how I managed to get it out all I know, we were laughing our heads off while wondering wtf!

By the time we were done, we were super tired and badly in need of drinks. Who says you need to join a gym, just change a few tyres! Lol

Ps : oh yeah I have an emergency service just couldn’t find the number! ;p

3 comments:

geetha said...

Luckily you had friends to help you out! :)

Anonymous said...

You should carry at least a o.5 metre long pipe in your boot, it makes loosening of the nuts easier. Also, you should frequently inflate the tyre so that the pressure maintains.

visithra said...

geetha : yeah

anon : thanks ;) long pipe humm ok - err i do that la