Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Trissur Pooram

The Magnificient I write all my stories on files that I open daily. Every few months I change the files coz the pages have gotten way to big for me to continue writing in them. I have so many stories stored waiting to be posted but never making it into daylight.

My travel stories are the ones who often suffer as I write most of them as soon as I’m back but it takes months to be posted as I’m still editing the images or waiting to post it on flickr. My attention span on Flickr is legendary, I can never finish a series and leave images just waiting to be exposed.









Then there are the stories that never get told as it missed its que not because it
was boring but rather as usual this writer suffers from the inability to focus on one item for too long a period. Boredom apparently is not fun. ;p

And so I write the story that has waited 2 years to be told.

The focal point of my 2006 trip to India was the Trissur Pooram festival. If there is one festival to witness in India, this would be it. Thrissur Pooram is held each year on a date between April and May in Thrissur Kerala. The festival engulfs the whole town and it is a sea of humans and elephants who march to the beat of the tantalising drums and trumpets. Majestic elephants some of the best in the country take part in this festival that lasts 36 hours. If you ever want to witness a festival in India - I'd suggest this one.

Pooram in a nutshell is the paying obeisance of the deities of Thiruvambady and Paramelkavu along with deities of suburban temples to the Lord at the Vadakkunnathan temple.





The festival starts at the respective temples before heading to the courtyard of the Vadukunathan temple. This temple is massive in size and has a huge courtyard to boost for the elephants to form their majestic lineup while the musicians play their haunting music.

We had taken the train from Kasaragod towards Trissur and arrived in the wee hours of the morning of the festival. I had tried to book a place to stay for weeks but couldn’t get in touch with the hotels and so began our tiring journey to find a room. After visiting nearly 10 hotels, we finally found a place. I was beginning to wonder if we might have to sleep in a car instead.

With less than 3 hours of sleep, mom and I headed out to check out the temples. Business was usual around the area, as the festival doesn’t involve the temples. Vadukunathan is amazing to walk through in the early mornings.
We then headed to the other temples where the elephants were being prepared for their formation and people were giving away food and more at the temples for the upkeep of the elephants. The town is abuzz with activity, it would seem as if everyone was out to celebrate the festival.

Everywhere we went the place was fileld with people, so you can imagine how hard it was to get breakfast. We headed back to the main temple, to find the first set of elephants about to perform. As usual I got carried away taking photos when I suddenly realized I was the only women standing so close to the elephants. It was pretty daunting, plus I hadn’t realized how close I’d come to the elephants. Majestic creatures if I may add.

The beauty of the festival lies in its haunting music. For the first time listener, you’re at first wondering why the people look as if they’re in a trance, swaying their hands in the air to the beat of the music. Slowly you’re pulled into its rhythm and before you know it you’re tapping your feet mesmerized by the horns and drums.




2 comments:

Ganesh said...

விசித்திரா அருமையான பதிவு அற்புதமான படங்கள்.

visithra said...

thanks ganesh ;)