Thursday, May 15, 2008

Sareeholic

SareeholicI confess to being a sareeholic. I don’t think there’s a cure for this addiction – not that I’m looking for one either.

I love the whole going to a shop, shifting through countless sarees, colours, patterns and types and just going crazy. Anyway over the weekend we had gone to get the sarees for my brother’s engagement. We only needed to get the bride one and me one since mom was wearing something I bought for her the last time we went to India (where we bought loads of sarees) and I had another saree which I have reserved for my brothers wedding.










So I needed to get one saree for the engagement and I set out with a budget!

Anyway we head to the only place I shop in Malaysia for silk sarees – Gayathry’s in Klang. If I needed something simple I’d go to my friends new shop or Saradha’s in Masjid India.. I get good prices, nice selection of sarees, nice people who don’t mind showing me the whole shop and definitely no rude owners like a certain corner shop in Masjid India.

We went early as I rather miss the afternoon crowd and headed straight to the guy behind one of the counters. Now the problem with shopping for sarees in Malaysia is somehow the idea of silk saree has been engraved as the absolutely crazily heavy Benares silks or the rangoli. So much so if you walked up to a saree shop and asked for Kanjipuram sarees someones gonna hand you a fake rangoli kanchi and claim its Kanchipuram.

Seeing my usual sales guy wasn’t there I walked to another guy and told him exactly what I wanted.

Me : I want double border, traditional design, handwoven kanchipuram sarees.

He starts giving me rangoli kanchis, machine kanchis and some heavily sequined sarees but the one I want.

Me : no no this isn’t what I want, and this isn’t pure kanchi (I proceded to prove to him how I know it wasn’t)

The guy starts protesting.

I finally manage to find single border Kanchi sarees and he tells me this the only stuff they have and they have nothing else.

Me : but I always buy here, how come they don’t have here! Are you sure???
Him : yes I’m very sure – I know all the sarees here.

You should have seen my face then, I was sulking away, sadly looking at the other sarees and watching the bride select her saree. The bridesmaid (me of course) is way pickier than the bride.

Then another sales guy calls me over and tells me he’ll find me what I want. He first showed me some of the sequined new patterned kanchis which I wasn’t fond of. So he told me to follow him to another counter and what do you know – by the third saree he was showing me what I wanted. I got so excited I called my mom and told the other sales guy.

me : see see you have the sarees and you said don’t have – cheh you so badla!

So my new fav sales guy who was excited someone was buying those sarees started taking out all the saress and showing them to me and we started chatting. Apparently he was from Trichy and he used to work at Sri Kumarans in Chennai. I told him I preferred Pothys in Chennai ;p He gave me the how-could-you-like-another-shop look ;p

He figured my younger brother was the one getting married and started drilling me on why I wasn’t. I was like I tell you the whole world wants the answer to this question – no one is letting me be just the grooms sister. Cheh waste people ;p

In between looking at the sarees, I’d suddenly have to go to the back and look at the saree the bride had choose before running back to look at my sarees. Everytime I got back there would be more sarees to choose from – like I said my sales guy was having fun watching me get excited over sarees.

Sareeholic 2I finally found 2 that I really liked when my mum turns up and gets totally attracted to one and insists I buy that. That’s when I realize I forgot to see the price. It was double my budget! And you’d think my mom would say no you shouldn’t spend so much! Yeah right! I’M the stinger one at home. And so I finally bought that saree and burnt a huge hole in my pocket! Oooh but it was worth it ;p

Anyway turns out the other sales guy was from my dads hometown in India and we had a conversation on the area.

While all this was happening my brother tried to sneak out and go get bored elsewhere – unfortunately for him he was the one getting married so the poor thing couldn’t do that.

We finally headed to get him a jhuppa for the wedding. Now my brother is even pickier than me. I’m the only person who can buy him shirts that he will wear. Anything else he wears it once and it lies in his cubbard forever.

Anyway the brides family suggested something heavily embroided, padded and double layered in a funky colour – exactly the opposite of what my brother would wear.

My brother gave me a panicked desperate look which screamed “save me.”

So I told him to go look elsewhere while I gave instructions to the salesguy.

Me : Find him a single layered jhuppa with only little embroiding in the centre and no paddings in creamy gold colours.

Him : but but that’s very hard to find

Me : I know but find it! ;p

The guy brought a few and one immediately caught my eye and I told my brother to try it. He was at first hesistant coz he wasn’t keen on the material but after trying it on he really liked it. Now before you guys say see how fast he found his choice let me point out that if darling sister here didn’t give specific directions we would have been there for ages. From lifelong shopping blunders, brother has come to absolutely trust his sister’ absolutely wonderful sense of dressing.

Brother reluctantly agreed to wear a shawl and that took sometime. He finally put on the jhuppa again to see which one he liked.

So ends the drama of getting engagement clothes. End of the day the sister is still a sareeholic wondering if she should go back and buy that other saree! ;p

OMG I’m hopeless! ;p

11 comments:

Ms Taggart said...

Looks like you had fun with that shopping.. its sometimes fun to shop like there is no tomm! :)

Wondering who this new reader is? I am SG, just with a different name:)

gina said...

Wah.. I really like sarees. In fact, I think my friend and I went to search for a saree to be made into a malay kebaya. And she looked smashing in it.

My sis won a prize when she was little dressing up as an Indian girl in saree and bindi as well. :D

visithra said...

hey sg : how r u ;) heheh yeah - if only money grew on trees ;p

gina : oooh yeah saree as kebaya looks really nice - hehhe wow she must have looked really cute

♥Jwolin-licios* said...

hii.. you dnt kno me, but can i ask you something?? im a british-chinese mixed but i love saree ALOT, so i hope 2 wear a fabulous saree in da farewell party of my school.. can you tell me which shops in masjib india can i get a really nice saree??

visithra said...

jwolin-licious : hey ;)

ah another saree lover

i'd suggest you go to Sarasha or Madras Store they're both on the same row nearer to Semua House - the prices are quite affordable to expensive

But if ure looking for one of a kind excuisite pieces and you don't mind paying the price you can check some of the boutique shops above that same row or head down to amitballs which is in the building next to semua house

as you're wearing to a party - try teaming it with a halter neck top or spagethi top - and theres a few ways to tie the saree for a dinner - you can do the normal tie or the upper body wrap style - depending on ur body shape - try searching online for the different styles ;)

accesories - try buying in brickfields bombay point

have fun shopping n hope this helped ;)

♥Jwolin-licious* said...

thx ya, you really help alot..

usually how much does a silk saree cost??

anyway, sorry 2 disturb you again >.<

visithra said...

no prob - thats kinda hard to say

prices vary based on kind of silk, where its from, material used, so i cant really give u one price to work on ;)

Jwolin-licious* said...

oh, i see..

anyway thx really..

Anonymous said...

hi..you should check out Glitterz...its a mobile textile biz...managed by this young couple...they have gorgeous mind blowing collection of sarees...infact u should c the saree the owner got for her wedding and her bridal sets too...something which u dont bump into in msia...they come straight to ur doorstep or u can go over to their place too. heard that they r having some season's clearance sale n valentine arrivals...u can contact them via email...
ursunshine66@hotmail.com
i forgot their phone number...

hope this helps :) tc!

saree point said...

Whether its Bollywood saree, Tollywood saree or sexy saree. All photos can be found at once place, called saree point. This website gives you latest saree photos and saree news. This Sari website has been divided into 3 parts. One gives latest Sari information and photos while the second section provides Bollywood saree information. While the third section have Sari Model photos and information.sari
http://www.sareepoint.com

Amelia Davis said...

Wowwwww... Really Great Stuff! Yes – this is such a common question from people, and you've made it so easy! :) I was seeking this certain information for a very long time. Thank you and best of luck.I would like to thnkx for the efforts you’ve put in writing this website. I am hoping the same high-grade blog post from you in the future too. Actually your creative writing skills has inspired me to get my own site going now. Really blogging is spreading its wings and growing quickly. Your write up is a good example. I simply could not go away your website prior to suggesting that I extremely enjoyed the standard info a person supply for your guests? Is going to be again incessantly in order to inspect new posts. This Stuff is so easy to read, and you are good ample in presenting in the following paragraphs, and I do think other readers who also feel by doing this. Thank you due to this useful data, and may be useful pertaining to others.

bridal sarees online shopping | silk saree with price | designer sarees online | designer sarees | buy sarees online | online shopping for sarees | designer sarees online india | buy sarees online india | designer silk sarees | lehenga saree online shopping | designer sarees online shopping in india | indian wedding sarees online shopping | indian wedding sarees online shopping | party wear sarees | net sarees online | buy online saree in india | online wedding saree shopping | saree shopping online in india | sarees online in india | saree online shopping india | saree online shopping in india | buy online saree in india | sarees online shopping | bridal sarees online shopping | buy online saree | online shopping sarees india | shop online sarees | online shopping of saree | buy online sarees india .