Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Imagine

Imagine ... by John Lennon

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one




















My friend and I were dancing on the dance floor when we spotted her gay friend that we had met sometime back. The next thing we know we were hugging at the centre of the dance floor and trying to dance as well with them.

The thing about dancing is you need to have a partner that’s as charismatic. He and his gf definitely were. When we finished I got another hug from the gf.

I was walking to the ladies when I saw her standing nervously outside.

Are you waiting for someone?

no… I need to

then come on in

I think the restroom cleared coz she walked in with me not that I was bothered. I decided to wait outside with her so she wouldn’t be alone.

I didn’t want to use the mens coz you know how they look down on us.

People are just judgmental – don’t bother about them was all I could tell her.

So what does the photo and title have to do with what I've written? A lot!


imagine - as a stand alone title means this photo lets your imagination run wild as the shadow of t he person is not the shape of someone normal - so it allows for a lot of interpretation - but what is really normal?

and that links to the songs lyrics that I've chose - what is normal - the moment a person looks different or is a different shade of colour from the majority they are perceived as abnormal - though this predicment is not so harsh as it once used to be - people are still pinpointing others on their sexual orientation - how are gays abnormal? where did society learn how to measure abnormality?

Why are we so judgmental – its really saddening how people treat others coz they don’t look as what people perceive as normal. I don’t think anyone knows what normal means. I’ve written about this so many times, talked about it – made a few enemies. There is no such thing as normal or abnormal - just norms set by society.

For the fun of it people might just beat them up, call them names, treat them as if they committed some crime. The funny thing is religiously only 2 religions can say it’s against their scriptures – if you’re Hindu you can’t no matter what society tells you. There are walls after walls of ancient sculptures depicting that gay relationships existed at many ancient temples in India. So don’t you blame religion for your closed mentality!

Like all of us they have their nice and evil ones as well. But I think in defying the general society they have learned to be very affectionate people. I had to learn how to hug others something I should write about another time. You know how Asians don’t hug right? Yet they will always welcome you with a hug, even if it’s the first time you’re meeting them.

The point is they’re just like you and me just more expressive and affectionate so stop judging them! If you can’t change your feelings about them at least don’t hurt them.

3 comments:

Aravind said...

Hi Visit.....
me back after a longggggg time!!! :D

>>Why are we so judgmental?
I know... I really hate it whn ppl become so judgemental!!! Who decides normality or abnormality? why should ppl look down upon gays?
I get so irritated whn ppl make fun of or look down upon other ppl!!

gina said...

Yet another breath taking shot. :D

Can I know do you use photoshoppe for your pics?

visithra said...

aravind : yayyy ure back ;)))

sad isnt it

gina : thanks dear - yes i do but only to brighten the colours nothing more