Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Sambal

I love tomatoes but I like them spicy if I don’t take them fresh. That’s why I rarely order spaghetti bolognaise at restaurants coz they’re normally on the sweet bland side. So I tend to cook it ala Malaysian – I just do a simple sambal base I normally make and eat it with pasta. I really love this. This was also one of the first few things I cooked.

Malaysians cannot live without their sambal and for most the spicier the better. So don’t be surprised if you see someone huffing and puffing and still continuing into their food.

This is a basic recipe. It can be stored in air tight containers and used later or you can add different items to it from tofu to chicken.

Sambal

Grind
Ginger
1 Onions
Chilli (dried)
chilli padi (omit if its too hot for u)
3 cloves of Garlic
1 Tomato

Spices
Pepper
Chilli Powder
Cinnamon
Salt

Saute
Onion
Garlic
Mustard seeds
Cinnamon sticks
Anise seeds
oil


Grind the ingredients together and keep aside. Sauté all the ingredients till golden. Then pour in grinded ingredients and simmer till first boil, under low heat. Then add in the spices stir and cook for a while. You’re done.

2 comments:

Balajoe said...

I am going to miss the home cooked sambal for the next 1.5 months.

visithra said...

balajoe : so ure confirm going huh? take care ok - u could use this recipe there ;p or ask the mrs to cook a batch n transport it there in air tight containers n mobile cooler ;p then store in fridge once ure there ;p