Friday, February 24, 2006

Blotches of ink

My day wrote about how ink pens, once a precious possession, had lost its charm among today's youth. I never had to use ink pens at school coz by the time it was our turn to move into pens, schools had embraced ball pens and ink pens, ink bottles and leaking pens became the thing of the past.

Yet I owned a few quite early in life. You see my dad, as long as I could remember wore a gorgeous gold watch and always had with him this gold parker pen. Though the watches changed over time, 2 coming from years of service at his company, the gold pen remained a constant companion despite owning a few other exquisite pens.

Every day it was the same ritual, he'd come home from work and head to his sofa and his table that mind you no one sat at or messed with, and he'd remove his watch and the pen left its day time resting place in his pocket to land on the table.

So ink pens to me were the most precious things, symbolising importance, class, work and best of it set you apart from the multitude of ball pen owners. That's why I ended up having a few cheap Hero ink pens with its bottle of inks in the deepest indigos which I eventually broke. Sometimes I'd tilt the ink bottles and watch the colour play in the glass bottles. Dad did give me an old pen of his, eventually, much to my excitement, and despite them no longer functioning anymore, I still have that old silver pen and his fav old gold watch.

There is something about a man removing a sleek pen from his shirt pocket to sign those important documents that still intrigues me. I know it comes from seeing my dad, but till today whenever I see someone reach out into their jackets to remove their pens, I smile intrigued by that simple everyday motion. Its another story that I have not seen a single young man own one.

I guess it explains why, while we were clearing his things, I took the pens and carefully placed them in his leather briefcase (another item I often coveted) thinking it was mine finally. Little did I know, my brother had craved for the same pen and he quietly took it into his possession. I did want to ask it back but then decided someone else should be enjoying the swish removal of sleek gold pens from crispy shirts.

Bah dump metrosexuality, the charm of a gentleman never stops to bewitch.

14 comments:

Nanyaar? said...

Guess what you've got company, Infact I like every other pen my dad replaces it with when I steal em away.. :D A golden parken pen, your dad must have been one really big personality.

And hey.. I always have a pen in my pocket, and Parker pens are my favorite next to Cross. Have my own small collectione' :d

Relieshed your post!

:)

ny

BawangMerah said...

Metrosexual Gentleman then :P

"I have not seen a single young man own one."

That's because everybody use thingamjig handphones to jot down or write things :P

vee-jay said...

Have never been a fan of ink/ fountain pens. I still prefer to use a pencil :)

My days(Gops) said...

its true tht a every single men wont carry any std pens whn he is a student,
but once he starts working, ofcourse he do carry a pen in his pocket.......

btw, thnks...
cheers!!!!

Jeevan said...

I am using Ink-pens from y school day, In my school they nevery allow to use Ballpoint pen. every day i write with my Parket Ink-pen on my dairy. now a days many people use Gelpen.

Ghost Particle said...

A good write.

visithra said...

@ Nanyaar : u too??? Oohhh nice nice heheheh u stole it huh - dad never used any other he had this one n it stuck ;) u have a collection? Wow cool and u carry a pen around? Thats nice ;) at least someones still doing this ;)


@ Bawangred : hehehe Metrosexual Gentleman? Lol havent met one
Thats true too - but not everyone has a pda


@ Vee-jay : the pencil? Oohh i was never fond of it unless for sketching


@ My days : actually not really nowadays they hope the gal has a pen in her handbag


@ jeevan : ohhh thats nice another ink pen user ;)


@ Gp : thanks ;)

Shamgar said...

My father the farmer never used a pen, he carried a stub of a pencil which he sharpened with his pocket knife and a couple of old envelopes to write and do math on. But my mother, the school teacher, carried a Parker in her purse and used it always. She usually gave books for presents and wrote flowery dedications in them with the Parker pen. I developed the habit and passed it on to my oldest son, the philosopher/poet/political speech writer, and now seminary student. His twin sister, the college professor, uses a dip pen for calligraphy. So with us... the tradition continues.

visithra said...

shamgar : Ahhh thanks for sharing ;) nice to know it continues - i can imagine lightly brushing the faded ink on yellowed paper of your mothers writing

geetha said...

Aww, so sweet. I love it the way you treasure teh thoughts of your dad and his stuffs.

And its so nice to know your brother (a guy) also values his dad.

still_figuring_out said...

my sweetie carries a silver parker pen with him all the time, and i think it is just so cool when he removes it from his shirt pocket to write! :)

visithra said...

geetha : thanks ;) ive always took notice of the small things so it comes handy ;)

yeah he does ;)


Still : he does?? Oohhh thats nice ;)) i havent seen young guys do that ;) its so stylish then taking out the pda or a kilometrico ball pen ;p

Ajay said...

good one visit...
if you get the chance visit my earlier post related to this...
http://dotsnjots.blogspot.com/2005_06_01_dotsnjots_archive.html

visithra said...

ajay : thanks and did read urs - nice one ;)